What Causes Dark Circles Around The Eyes?
The unsightly dark circles can be caused due to many reasons. Find them listed below:
- Sleep deprivation
- Tiredness and exhaustion
- Nasal allergies
- Constant itching and rubbing due to skin conditions like eczema
- Skin irritants in makeup products
- Exposure to the sun (in the absence of a good sunscreen)
It’s best to fight dark circles in whatever way possible! Perhaps it’s time to try these do-it-yourself remedies for dark under-eye circles!
Almond Oil — Almonds are an extremely good source of Vitamin E. The oil can be used as an emollient as it has properties to make the skin soft and supple
- Apply a little amount of almond oil on the dark circles and gently massage it into the skin. Leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning.
Aloevera Gel — Aloevera soothes the skin and hydrates it. Its nourishing properties reduce the pigmentation under the eye and make the sensitive skin in that area healthier.
- Apply the gel under the eyes and massage for a few seconds. Leave it on for about 10-12 minutes. Wash with warm water.
Cucumber — Cucumbers have cooling as well as astringent properties and hence they are widely used to treat dark circles. They can lighten the color of the skin, increase blood flow and reduce puffiness.
- Cut a cucumber into thick slices and chill them in the refrigerator. Place a cool cucumber slice over each eye for 10 to 15 minutes. Then wash the area with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily for at least a week to notice changes.
- Grate a small cucumber, extract the juice and refrigerate it for a few minutes. Dip a cotton ball in the juice and apply it under the eyes. Allow the skin to absorb the juice for about 15 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily for a week.
Castor Oil — Castor oil softens and conditions the skin. It rejuvenates the dull skin under the eyes, thus reducing dark circles and wrinkles.
- Apply castor oil under the eyes and leave it on overnight.
Butter Milk — Buttermilk has lactic acid and probiotics that helps cure discoloration under the eyes.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a small bowl. Apply to the affected area. Leave for 15 – 25 minutes or until dry. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
Rose water — contains properties which have a soothing effect and lighten dark circles. It has antioxidants strengthen skin cells, regenerate tissue, and rejuvenate skin. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that protect your eye from contamination’s, redness, dust, itchiness, and inflammation.
- Soak a few drops of rose water on two cotton pads for 2 – 3 minutes. Apply to the affected area for 15 minutes. Repeat twice daily until results are visible.
Baking Soda — Baking soda has skin soothing and skin lightening properties. Its anti-inflammatory properties will help to improve the blood circulation under the eyes.
- Add the baking soda powder to the water and mix well. Soak the cotton pads in this and place them on the eyes for 10-15 minutes
Coconut Oil— The nourishing and moisturizing properties of coconut oil promote the skin’s health. This, in turn, reduces dark circles.
- Pat the oil on the skin under your eyes. Massage very gently in clockwise and anti-clockwise motions a few times. Leave it on overnight.
Green Tea— Dark circles are caused when the blood vessels under the eyes are dilated. Green tea helps in reducing this as it contains tannins that have astringent properties. They constrict these dilated blood vessels and capillaries and help reduce the appearance of dark circles. Your eyes will feel refreshed after using this remedy.
- Dip the tea bags in water and refrigerate them for a while. Place the cool tea bags over your eyes for about 15 minutes. Then, wash your face.
Cold Milk — Milk contains lactic acid that has shown to improve the smoothness, thickness, and firmness of the skin. This mild acid also diminishes fine lines and wrinkles
- Take the cotton ball and dip it in the bowl of cold milk. Now, place the cotton ball on your eyes, making sure it covers the affected area completely. Keep it on for about 15 minutes, after which you can wash off with regular water.
Apple cider vinegar — The minerals, vitamins, and enzymes present in ACV replenish and rejuvenate the under eye area. In just a couple of days, your dark circles will fade
- Dip cotton in apple cider vinegar and apply it under the eyes. Wash off with warm water after 15 minutes.
Honey — Honey is a powerhouse of antioxidants and nourishing components. It softens the skin and also provides it with the ‘skin food’ that it needs. Your dark circles will go away in no time.
- Apply a thin layer of this on the under eye area. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse.
Lemon Juice — As you might already know, lemon juice has skin lightening properties. Its vitamin C content also works as an antioxidant, and rejuvenates and brightens the skin
- Carefully apply the lemon juice under the eyes with the help of the cotton swab. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off.
Olive Oil — Olive oil is rich in a lot of healthy compounds that possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, its application will keep the under-eye skin healthy. It also contains healthy fatty acids that provide the hydration and nourishment that the sensitive skin under the eyes needs.
- Massage the oil in circular motions around the eyes for a minute or two with your ring finger. Leave it on overnight.
Potato Juice — Potatoes contain enzymes, starch, and vitamin C – all of which nourish the skin around the eyes and help treat dark circles.
- Soak two cotton balls in the potato juice. Place the cotton balls on the dark circles, ensuring that they cover the affected area entirely. Leave them on for 10 minutes. Then, remove and wash your eyes with cold water.
Crushed Mint leaves — Mint leaves are rich in vitamin C that has the efficacy to treat dark circles and improve skin health
- Crush the mint leaves and mix them with a few drops of water till you get a smooth paste. Apply this paste under your eyes and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Wash with cold water.
Turmeric — Turmeric and its extracts are commonly used in face packs and creams because of their skin brightening and lightening properties. These properties will enhance the appearance of the dull and dark skin under your eyes. Almond oil in this remedy acts as the skin hydrating component
- Mix the turmeric with the almond oil. Massage the under eye area with this mixture for a minute and then leave it on for 20 minutes. You can rinse with water or use a soft tissue to wipe it off.
Some tips —
- Sleep 7 – 8 nightly to reduce dark circles and for better health.
- Exercise daily using yoga, meditation, and deep breathing for proper blood circulation, better sleep, and reduced stress.
- Avoid facial masks under and around your eyes.
- Regularly wash your eyes with warm water followed with cold water to improve blood circulation and cleanse any dirt particles
- Apply moisturizer before bed for added hydration.
- Drink 8 – 10 cups of water daily to avoid dehydration.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, yogurt, sprouts, salads, skimmed milk, paneer, unprocessed cereals, lentils and beans to avoid nutritional deficiency.
- Reduce salt.
Try these easy home remedies to treat dark circle.