While it is difficult to find out if someone is suffering of depression initially as the symptoms are not that different from normal but with time if you observe a certain variation in the normal behavior , well that can give you an indication of probable depression .
- Frequent mood swings
- Feelings of emptiness, hopelessness, despair, and sadness
- Irritability, anxiousness, and guilt
- Feelings of exhaustion, severe tiredness
- Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities
- Inability to concentrate or remember details
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts of suicide
- Sleep disturbances; sleeping too much or too little, insomnia
- Changes in appetite – eating too much or too little
- Physical symptoms – aches and pains, cramps, headaches, digestive issues, bloating
- Lack of energy
- Feeling out of control
- Mood swings and feelings of tearfulness
- Feelings of tension
- Disinterest in daily activities and relationships
Depression doesn’t come by knocking the doors, sad thoughts, sad moments, some small thoughts, bad incidents, losing something, etc are the cause of depression and other emotions pains.
Fight the Beast
It is easy and you can fight against it easily. Depression is so weak once you discuss it with someone. Depression is nothing but a small though which is killing you from inside.
Start the war, raise your voice against it. It is weak, it is nothing but a repeated thought that makes you wrestles all the time and takes away all your energy and positivity .
As an initial measure to treat depression , some steps can be taken immediately like :
- Don’t keep your feelings bottled up – find a support group with people you trust
- Stay engaged in social activities and social functions
- Exercise regularly
- Get enough sleep – 8 hours per night is ideal
- Meditate, try yoga, or practice other relaxation techniques
If these initial things don’t help , then the first thing you should do is consult a psychiatrist and get it treated because otherwise it can lead to long term drastic effects .
Effects of long term depression on brain
Years of untreated depression may lead to neurodegenerative levels of brain inflammation showing evidences of lasting biological changes in the brain for those suffering with depression for more than a decade.
The study findings are from the research team that originally identified a link between brain inflammation and depression. Along with subsequent research, the findings have started to change thinking about depression treatments. Evidence is increasingly pointing to the possibility that it’s not only a biological disorder with immediate implications, but over time depression may alter the brain in ways requiring different forms of treatment than what’s currently available.
The research indicated that in all those who participated in the study , had a specific type of protein that results from the brain’s inflammatory response to injury or illness. Throughout the body, the brain included, the right amount of inflammation protects us from disease and repairs us when we’re injured. But too much inflammation leads to chronic illness, including heart disease and potentially neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
We certainly need to break the stigma around mental health as this is just another kind of health issue like with any other part of the body . And it needs to be fixed as soon as possible as brain is the CPU of the body and if there is any problem with it then the entire system is shaken a bit. This biological disorder if left untreated may run a degenerative course that damages the brain tissue.