Did you know that you should not wash your frying pans /woks/skillets ? Sounds weird ? I know it does but that’s something we all have been doing wrong.
Way 1 :
These pans just have to be sprinkled with little things , wipe off and you are done . But it is not that simple as it sounds . This process is time consuming and at times can take almost half the day. So, hold on your breathe and follow the below steps
- Spread a good amount of rock salt, cracked pepper corns, chopped ginger, scallions and crushed/chopped garlic all over the pan.
- Add a good glug of cooking oil.
- Heat the pan at the highest heat setting and rub the above mixture all over such that it covers the entire surface. Keep it on until it’s smoking.
- Remove from heat, wipe with kitchen tissue/towel and allow to cool.
Tada ! Its done . Now you are good to go with the next round of cooking
Way 2 :
Quick Tip : Always use a “Non-abrasive nylon scrubber” for cleaning non-stick pans
Now there can be excessive grease on the pan or good amount of residue. In both the cases , it needs to be cleaned differently.
a . To remove oil stains / grease :
- If there is a layer of oil that is difficult to remove, fill the pan with water and add ½ cup of vinegar.
- Bring the water/vinegar mixture to a boil.
- As the mixture boils, the oil layer will rise to the top.
- Remove the oil and dispose of the water.
- Wash the pan with warm water and soap using a nylon scrubber.
- Rinse completely and dry with a soft cloth.
b. To remove residue :
The advantage of this method is that the pan can be cleaned both inside and outside with this method . Oil / grease can leave residue that is difficult to remove and harsh scrubbing is a big “ No No” for non-stick pans as it can lead to removal of the non-stick coating. So read carefully to have a safe and smart cleaning next time.
- Start by mixing water and baking soda to make a paste.
- Spread the paste on the residue.
- Scrub the surface with a nylon scrubber. The baking soda acts as an abrasive to safely remove the residue without damaging the non-stick surface.
- Once the residue is removed, wash with detergent and water.
- Rinse completely before drying with a soft cloth.